Preventing tooth decay in children depends on you. An infant’s teeth will begin to show before their first birthday. Once they appear, they must be attended to for many years until the child is of age to care for his or her own teeth. Get in the habit of taking care of their teeth, so when the time comes, they can continue proper oral hygiene for a healthy habit smile that will extend to their adult teeth, and hopefully for the rest of their lives. Below are a few important tips:
– If the baby has any teeth that have broken through the gumline, use toothpaste with the ADA Seal of Acceptance. Slowly brush their teeth with a child-sized toothbrush and an amount of toothpaste roughly the size of a grain of rice.
– Do not leave a bottle in the baby’s mouth during nap time.
– Do not dip the child’s pacifier in sweet substances such as honey or sugar.
– Be careful what you put into drinking bottles for babies. Focus on using only formula, milk, or breast milk in the bottles. Do not use liquids such as sugar water, juice, soft drinks, or energy drinks.
– Avoid contaminating anything the baby uses for his/her mouth. Do not share food utensils or pacifiers.
Baby bottle tooth decay is preventable if you take the necessary steps to protect your little ones. If you have not made time for your dentist at Dean Doles Family Dentistry, and would like to make an appointment with Dr. Dean Doles, please contact us today. We can be reached at 972-727-7269 or by stopping by our office in Allen, Texas. Let us get you started on the road to a brighter, whiter smile.