If your child is a thumbsucker, our Dean Doles Family Dentistry team encourages you to do all you can to keep your child from the habit. Thumbsucking can destroy your child’s smile by altering the development of the mouth and by causing misaligned teeth. So, to help you save your child’s smile, we recommend doing the following things:
· Praise your child when they choose not to suck on their thumb.
· Children generally suck their thumbs because they feel nervous or insecure, so the best thing you can do is correct the cause of the anxiety and comfort your child.
· Work with your child and come up with a way to stop the habit.
· Have your dentist encourage them to stop the habit by explaining why it’s important to quit. If your child hears of the ways it can destroy their smile, they might stop.
· Bandage their thumb at night to keep them from sucking on it.
· Talk to your dentist or family doctor about a bitter medication to put over the thumb. If you coat the thumb with this medicine, your child will not enjoy the taste and will likely stop.
If these tips do not help you, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. Dean Doles and discuss further ideas to help your child quit the habit. All you need to do is call 972-727-7269 and we will be more than happy to help you. We look forward to your call!